Irregular periods can be a frustrating and concerning experience for many women. It’s not uncommon to experience changes in the menstrual cycle. In this blog post, we’ll explore the topic of irregular periods, including possible causes and when to seek medical advice.
First, let’s define what we mean by irregular periods. Typically, a menstrual cycle lasts between 21 and 35 days, with bleeding lasting between two and seven days. However, many women experience variations in their cycle length. This can be perfectly normal. Irregular periods refer to cycles that are consistently longer than 35 days, shorter than 21 days, or widely variable from month to month.
There are many potential causes of irregular periods. Some of the most common include:
- Hormonal imbalances – fluctuations in estrogen and progesterone levels can affect the menstrual cycle.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) – a condition where the ovaries produce too much androgen, leading to irregular periods, acne, and excess hair growth.
- Thyroid disorders – an overactive or underactive thyroid can disrupt the menstrual cycle.
- Stress – high levels of stress can cause changes in the menstrual cycle.
- Weight fluctuations – significant changes in weight, whether gaining or losing, can impact the menstrual cycle.
- Certain medications – can cause changes in the menstrual cycle.
If you’re experiencing irregular periods, Essex County OB/GYN & Associates can help.
Call us for a personalized evaluation:
- If you’ve missed more than three periods in a row.
- If your period is consistently shorter than 21 days or longer than 35 days.
- If you experience heavy or prolonged bleeding.
- If you have severe pain or discomfort during your period.
Essex County OB/GYN & Associates is a trusted resource for women’s health in the Danvers, Beverly, and Gloucester areas of Massachusetts. Our team of experienced physicians and nurses can help diagnose and treat a variety of gynecological issues, including irregular periods. We offer a range of services, from routine check-ups to specialized care for complex conditions.
When you visit Essex County OB/GYN & Associates, you can expect personalized care from a team of compassionate and knowledgeable professionals. We understand that every woman’s body is unique, and we will work with you to develop a treatment plan that meets your individual needs.
We know that having irregular periods can be a frustrating experience, but this condition is often treatable. If you’re experiencing irregular periods, the experienced team at Essex County OB/GYN & Associates can help. Call today to schedule your appointment.